Radev appoints new Chief Secretary to replace Todorov
President Rumen Radev signed a decree replacing the chief secretary of the Ministry of the Interior. Petar Todorov, who resigned on August 30, was relieved of his post. The first request to replace Todorov came on August 18 from the Minister of Internal Affairs. At that time Radev had refused, saying it was a move to seize power in the ministry.
The new chief commissioner proposed by the government, Zhivko Kotsev, has been working for the Interior Ministry since 1991. He was the director of the regional directorates of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in Veliko Tarnovo and in Sofia region, as well as the deputy director of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
Todorov had been blamed for the lack of organization and control over activities in the Ministry, and indirectly for the death of six employees in the performance of their official duties.
Coastal municipalities to receive BGN 5 million for marketing
A program to finance marketing activities of tourist services in Black Sea municipalities was adopted today by the cabinet with a budget of BGN 5 million. Each project will be financed with no more than BGN 400,000. The financial assistance granted under the program is 60% of the total amount of the project budget. The remaining 40% of the financing for project implementation should come from the beneficiaries.
The program can be used by local administration structures from the area, as well as tour operators. The application procedure, evaluation and communication with candidates will be carried out electronically through the National Investment Management System (NIS), module E-candidacy. The term of implementation of the projects may be longer than 12 months.
Additional BGN 37.5 million for the MoD
The Ministry of Defense is to receive an additional BGN 37,577,500 for the acquisition, modernization, maintenance and repair of armaments, missiles, torpedoes and equipment. The funds will also be used to repair infrastructure, and buy ammunition, as well as fuel for combat training.
Last Friday the US State Department announced the approval of a possible export of 183 Stryker armored combat vehicles to Bulgaria worth up to 1.5 billion dollars. An American delegation is also visiting today to hold negotiations for the rapid conclusion of an interstate treaty on the matter.